In December, 1886 the Girlovy Committee petitioned for permission to open nautical classes for its account in Rostov-on-Don. This idea was achieved with success.
In 1876 on the initiative of the Bessarabia and Ekaterinoslavsky Governor - general count P.E. Kotzebue and the Don Merchants – Shipowners nautical classes on training of skippers in Rostov-on-Don were open. Classes were located in 1894 in Moskovskaya St. in the house No. 91 (the rented house).
Later the two-storeyed construction was built at the expense of the town in Verkhne-Bulvarnaya Street (nowadays Sedov St.). It was specially adopted for nautical classes. In 1902 classes were called "Deep Sea Maritime college".
At the end of 1909 building of a new construction was finished. It was used for the joint deep sea colleges and ship’s engineers with preparatory school functioning in Rostov-on-Don. This building has remained; nowadays Sedov Water Transport Institute is located there.